Last Updated on
Everyone wants their home to sell quickly and for the most amount of money… But what’s the best way to do that really?
Pricing right is key….but it doesn’t end there….
THE POWER OF PRESENTATION
I decided to pull two sample batches of homes in New Haven County with all the same criteria but one differentiating factor: Days on Market.
The first batch was homes that were still on market after 365 days of going on market.
The second batch was homes that had gone under contract within 7 days of going on market.
I actually wasn’t looking for anything specific when I started - I decided to just study the listings and see if any trends submerged...and what I found was actually quite surprising!
We all know presentation is important…..But just how important?
What I found with homes listed over 365 days:
OVER 90% of homes listed a year or longer had BAD PHOTOS. Not professional photos, or even good amateur photos. Other rampant photo problems included:
What I found with homes listed for less than 7 days:
OVER 70% of homes listed under 7 days had GREAT PHOTOS. Obviously professional photos or very good amateur photos with:
Is presentation the most important thing when selling your home? NO – Pricing right is always #1. But that's not all…
IF IT DOESN’T PRESENT WELL ONLINE WHERE THE BUYERS ARE, THEY ARE SIMPLY NOT COMING TO INVESTIGATE FURTHER.
So what can the seller do?
1. Get the home into show shape before going on market. Yes, it will be time and work and money, but it will pay off!
2. Hire the right agent! If your agent shows up at the listing agent ready to snap pictures with her cell phone…you do not have the right agent that will present your home in the best light! You want someone who will:
- Tour the home and exterior with you and give you suggestions on what you will need to do to get the home ready.
- Hire a professional photographer! Unless your agent has the skills and equipment of a pro (highly unlikely) – they should be using one for all their home photos.
- Market the home extensively online. Once you have the home looking right and the photos on point – now the world needs to see it. Buyers are online. Your agent should have a strong internet and social media marketing plan.